Thursday, November 21, 2019

Assignment 26a - Celebrating Failure


Assignment 26a
Celebrating Failure

A time when I failed this semester has to be when I was struggling in the class for Financial Accounting. This class is known by many in the business school to be very challenging and somewhat of a weed-out class for certain majors. In addition to having challenging material, it is a fully online class, something which I have not been able to stay on top of and causes problems for me. Knowing all these factors coming into it, I tried very hard in the first months to stay on top of lecture and the material, studying and reviewing all the time, in preparation for the first exam. I did many practice problems and went over the material several times and yet I still struggled with it. However, I thought it wouldn’t be that bad and took the exam. As you can probably guess, I didn’t as well as I would have liked. With that, I decided to change it up for the next exam. I studied for the quizzes as much as I would have for the exam, got Study Edge, and doubled the amount of time spent studying. This proved to be effective because I improved greatly on the second exam, sparking a comeback in my grade, something which had me worrying.
From this, I learned several lessons. First of all, I learned the importance of time management and how one should organize themselves accordingly in order to achieve results. In addition, I learned that sometimes changing how things are being done could end up being extremely beneficial. I also learned my capabilities and how much I can achieve if I really pushed myself and motivated myself.
After experiencing failures this semester, I’ve grown more into being able to accept it better. I’ve always been competitive and would cringe at the thought of failing. However, once I got to college and found this new responsibility, I had to learn how to cope with failure, something which would end up being inevitable. I usually internalize my problems and deal with them personally. I did learn that talking and having people around you who are dealing with the same problems helps alleviate the stress and anxiety that may come with failure. Now, I feel I’d be less afraid of doing something if I thought failure would be the end result.

1 comment:

  1. Guillaume, I took financial accounting last fall and I can say that I can relate quite heavily to what you have said in your post. The class definitely challenged me and forced me to really focus and put all my effort into studying and really understanding the material. I am glad to hear that you were able to turn your grade around with some hard work and lots of studying!

    ReplyDelete