Sunday, September 22, 2019

Assignment 9a - Testing the Hypothesis, Part 2


Assignment 9a
Testing the Hypothesis, Part 2

To reiterate the opportunity I am presenting, it is a service where individuals, who are addicted to vapes and such nicotine substances, can go to seek help and motivation from others by talking to others and sharing their difficulties all the while being in a comfortable environment. The vaping industry has taken our society by storm and is posing serious health concerns to many. All the while, individuals are having a hard time stopping this destructive habit.

I interviewed five individuals. One being a sophomore who vaped for a year who believed that he would not need such a service because he can do it on his own. Next interviewed an individual who owned a vape shop who believed such a service would be useless because the addiction is not the same as that of drugs and alcohol making the service inefficient. I also interviewed an ex-cigarette smoker, asking him whether he thought this type of service could've worked for him. He said that today it could since people have seen the health risks. However in the beginning, he thinks that not many individuals would've believed the need of such a service. Next, I interviewed another student who has friends who used to vape but who have now quit. Basing it off what he saw them do, he feels the service is not necessary as well. Finally, I interviewed another student who vaped. He said that he had no reason to quit because he does not believe in the health concerns that they have been said to cause.

Who:  There are people who believe that vaping and the addiction to nicotine products is not a serious addiction and that it can be overcome individually through determination and one’s own will power. I interviewed five different individuals, ranging from current vape users to individuals who had addictions with other substances such as cigarettes. The all seem to be of the same opinion that a service such as this is not necessary for this type of addiction since it has no visible effects on the body and mind so individuals would be less inclined to make a commitment to it.

What: The need I identified is that individuals will need support to overcome such an addiction. These individuals have made it clear that such a need is not true because it is not a strong addiction. People can overcome the addiction easily with their determination instead of needing a service to motivate them.

Why: The need is different because I think it depends on an individual’s personality. If an individual is determined and strong willed, they might be able to overcome this addiction on their own without any support. However, if one’s personality is the opposite and isn’t as strong, they might be unsuccessful in a solo endeavor.


Inside the boundary
Outside the boundary
Who
Individuals who do not have the will power or who feel they need support in order for them to successfully overcome the addiction.
Individuals who are determined, strong willed, or who believe the addiction is not as strong as perceived and can get over it by themselves. Also individuals who believe the health risks are not true and will keep going.
What
A support system which will motivate and help them overcome an unhealthy addiction.
These individuals would have no need of an extra service backing them.
Why
They do not have the determination or will power to do it themselves and appreciate support.
They believe they can achieve it on their own without the help of others or they do not believe in the health risks posed by vape products.

3 comments:

  1. Guillaume, I think your idea is a great idea. I would have never thought of that. Vaping is becoming very popular so this will definitely be needed in the future when many people decide that they need to stop. I do not think that many people can get off nicotine without help. I do not vape, but I know people who do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know we had try to find and interview individuals who wouldn't see eye to eye to our opportunity. However I didn't expect for people to have good points against your opportunity. Though, when really think about it this the same kind of talking and mentality that cigarettes had when coming up, and now look where everyone stand. So, the ex-cigarette smoker is right at first everyone will see no need, but when everyone will changed there mind eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think something that is interesting that came about from your interviews was the fact that many people think that they can beat addiction on their own and do not require a program like the one you're suggesting. While it is a very personal decision to decide to stop smoking/doing drugs, it is quite interesting that even people you interviewed thought they could do it on their own with the help of their willpower alone.

    ReplyDelete